It’s summertime. And for some reason when it’s hot, I really don’t like drinking water. Totally counterintuitive, I know, but it’s just too boring. I have a thirst for exciting, refreshing drinks that is never there during the winter and it really throws me off guard. I am the queen of water. You will rarely see me without my water bottle. I have been made fun of immensely for how I feel naked without my water bottle and therefore carry it with me everywhere.
Maybe my taste buds think they should get a reward for braving the heat. Who knows. Anyways, the most important thing about this peculiar scenario is that no generic lemonade will do. I’m picky about my beverages. I know, it’s a weird thing to be picky about, but overly sugary drinks are a huge pet peeve of mine and if you think about it, they end up dehydrating you more than you were in the first place.
The secret, ladies and gents, is balance. In life, in beverages, in whatever, balance is key. So throw together some cucumber for hydration benefits, some cilantro for a little kick, lime juice because Hallelujah! the lime shortage is over, and tequila because, well…why not? And if you think I’m insinuating this beverage may possibly be the key to life and happiness as we know it, well, maybe that’s exactly what I’m saying.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
1 small cucumber
1 handful cilantro, depending on how much spice you like
2 shots-ish tequila
1 shot triple sec
juice from 2 limes
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Grab a mesh strainer and large bowl. The mesh is important here. A regular strainer could probably work but just be more vigilant about making sure you’re only getting juice and no pulp (that leftover gunk that won’t be making it into your cocktail).
- Pour contents of blender into strainer while it’s placed over the large bowl.
- With a spoon, press down on the pulp, extracting as much liquid as you can.
- Taste the liquid and make sure the proportions are right for you. If you can add more alcohol, well…why not?
- Pour the liquid into your favorite glass and load it up with ice.